Awareness seminar on cross-border programme Albania – the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedina
The awareness seminar organized in the region of Elbasan was the second activity related to dissemination of information to the potential applicants on the cross-border programme between Albania and the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. The seminar was organized on July 27th in the premises of the Regional Council of Elbasan which was the host institution.
Organization of the awareness seminar was made in full cooperation with the MEI and the Regional authorities of Elbasan. A total number of 40 people participated in the info-day.
The main items on the agenda included:
- * Presentation of the main strategic goal of the cross-border programme between Albania – the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, its specific objectives, priorities and measures
- Presentation on the support that has been provided to the national authorities in both countries for the preparation of the cross-border programme and the upcoming support that the CBIB project is going to provide to the local beneficiaries with regard to enhancing local capacities for preparation and implementation of successful cross–border projects.
The overall objective of the seminar was to inform the potential applicants about the cross-border programme between Albania and the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and its expected impact, and its priorities and measures, well in advance so that they will be prepared when the Calls for Proposals are launched. In addition, the activity was intended to inform the potential applicants on the next steps to be taken in the near future to make the programme fully operation and establish the related institutional framework.
The expected results from this activity were the following:
(i) increased awareness of the participants on the cross-border programmes in general and the cross-border programme between Albania and the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia;
(ii) increase the number of beneficiaries that receive information on the CBIB project in general;
(iii) potential applicants informed on the cross-border programmes in general and IPA CBC.
Conclusions and Lessons Learned:
- The beneficiaries in this region have no previous experience on the cross-border type of activities/projects, as the Region of Elbasan has not been part of any specific cross-border programme;
- Participants appreciated the organization of the seminar and made several questions about issues related to financial plan, eligible activities and the expected time for launching of the CfP;
- The “partner search” database developed by the CBIB teams in Tirana and Skopje made available to all participants was highly appreciated, and establishment of antenna in the city of Elbasan was considered a great opportunity for them as it will facilitate their efforts for getting information in a shorter time, as well as help them for establishing contacts.
- Participants showed a particular interest on the coming training programme presented by the CBIB representatives. Despite that the region has not participated in the cross border programme in the past, there are some knowledge and capacities among beneficiaries for preparation of the project proposals. The problem, according to them will be for the small municipalities e.g. Librazhd, Gramsh and communes which have no such capacity and required skills for developing good proposals.
- Participation of the Regional Authorities in the drafting process of the programme and the organization of the info-day was perceived as a sound contribution to co-ownership on the process together with the MEI.